Goodbye Poland and Hello Ireland

In May 2001 I've got a letter from my friend Monika (back then my ‘pen pal’)asking me if I want to come to Ireland to work as an au-pair…. I was studying for my last anatomy exam and at that moment I've closed my books and decided that I’m going to live my dream and travel the world.

Ireland was my first destination and there were many reasons why I fall in love with this beautiful country a number of years ago. One of the reasons was an Irish mountaineer, explorer and writer Dermot Somers whose TV series Wild Ireland made me passionate about the country and I promised myself that I will go there one day and walk to all this places he talked about…and so I did.
On the 16th of June 2001 I was on the Air Lingus plane from Frankfurt to Dublin and then to Cork. It was my first time on the plane and I was so excited that I didn’t even think about my fear of flying. A few weeks later I was happily lying under the Irish sky surrounded by the stunning Cliffs of Moher.........



It was together with my dearest friend Monika that I have hitch hiked almost the whole country and experienced some of the craziest adventures that made the time in Ireland simply priceless!Thank you Moni:)Shortly after I’ve arrived in Ireland I knew that I want more and that I want to live the life of a voluntary migrant or a nomad for some time. Not because I didn’t love my own country or because I was unhappy there but simply because I was curious what’s out there, what’s outside Poland.

Comments

Popular Posts